Saturday, December 4, 2010

We Got a Car!


So, it is a really little car, which  is perfect for Mauritius.  Brian came to the island a week ago Saturday, and between that and finishing my grading for the semester the blog has gotten behind.  This is catch up day!  Back to the car.  It is a Hundayi I-10, which cost me 750 Rs a day, which everyone says is a very good price.  In the typical Mauritian way I asked if I needed to file my drivers license in Port Louis (which you have to do if you buy a car), and I was told 'no - no problem'.  Also in the typical Mauritian way I leased the car through some friend of an aquaintance from the Gymkana Club - the reason for the really good price.


Driving is a bit nerve wracking, but I just keep mumbling keep left keep left.  The car is a stick shift and you shift with your left hand.  The turn blinkers are on the right so I keep turning on the windshield wipers when I want to turn.  We are getting roundabouts figured out too.  Brian has taken over driving which seems to help his comfort level.  It is pretty impressive given that he has been tobacco free for a week (no chewing tobacco sold on the island and they do not let you bring it in).


The car is the boys new favorite play toy.  Sam in boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment