Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of School

The boys said they looked like dorks, and perhaps they were a bit dorky.  They were also very quick to let me know (upon arriving home) that no one else wore black shoes and their regular tennis shoes ('trainers') would be just fine.  What does Mom know - she was just following the instructions!

At 7:25 this morning (exactly when Rajen had said he would) Rajen pulled his school van up  to our door and picked up Will and Sam for their first day of achool at Clavis.  He has run this route for 20 years, and picks up around 12 children for Clavis school, all who live in our area (Sodnac).  He dropped them off at 3:40 pm, again exactly when he said!

The boys said school was fun, except for French.  They will take French every day, which is great.  Will said recess was not great, as everyone just plays football, which of course is soccer over here.

I wish I had a Rajen for pick up and drop off.  I walked down to the bus stop in a heavy rain (it rains a LOT here), about a 1/2 mile walk.  I catch the La Pierre bus to get to Reduit (say it Ray-dweee), which is where the University is located.  At most, this is about 5 miles.  It took one hour and 20 minutes today, but I did go at peak time and the first bus was full and they will not let riders on once it is full.  Now I don't mean every seat is neatly taken by a person.  I mean 'every spot in which a human could cram or stand' is full.  The second bus was better and I stood until we got to Ebene City, which is an odd collection of high rises that is trying to become a business centre for Mauritius.  At that stop pretty much everyone gets off, and then we are clear to Reduit.  So, I think pretty much about 3 hours a day for bus travel.  Pretty much everyone operates on this schedule, since car travel is not much faster.  I really do not think that this is what they meant by 'island time'!

THINGS THAT MAURITIUS DOES THAT MAKE SO MUCH SENSE I DO NOT KNOW WHY WE DO NOT DO THEM IN THE U.S.:

1.  Solar hot water heaters.
2.  Efficient bus transport wherever you want to go (I know you wait, but it is cheap and you get there).
3.   Extra costs for plastic grocery bags, so you recycle your old ones.
4.  Fresh bread every day at the local bakery.
5.  Dominoes at break and at lunch (actually...pretty much all day).

THINGS MAURITIUS NEEDS:

1.  sidewalks
2.  drivers ed
3.  screens on windows
4.  recycling

No comments:

Post a Comment