Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Soil Color in Mauritius

Laboratory - Day 1.   So, my Soils students come in two general groups:   Agriculture (Group 1) and Landscape (Group 2).  I had all 35 Landscape students in lab today, and we organized into groups of four to do soil color.  I took my one Munsell book and gave every group a sheet, and then we all wandered around and tried to match our soil samples to a sheet.  Great fun. 

The students are terrific - fun, funny and very interested in what we are doing.  The labs will be fairly technical, at least compared to the labs we do in our Introductory Soils courses at Auburn.  For example, the previous instructor does things such as particle density, and CEC via the KCl/NH4OAc method - no color dye method here!  I teach again Friday.  There is no power at the University tomorrow (Thursday, and I hope that is not a regular event) so the boys and I are headed to the South to visit an old seaport.  The driver told me that it would take an hour (!) to get there.

Today has turned warm and sunny - beautiful weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment